Thursday, December 12, 2013

Round 1: Match 1

The Light Keepers vs. Call of the Herald



This was my first selection, and it proved to be a very difficult choice. I hadn't realized The Light Keepers was a prequel novella, or I'd have gone for the initial first book in the series. Both of these read as fairly standard fantasy novels in terms of the initial setup. On the whole, I thought the writing in The Light Keepers was smoother and more polished than in The Call of the Herald. But the start of the story in Call of the Herald that intrigued me more, and that's my focus this round, so I went with that in the end. I think it was because there just a little more drawing me into the world that was being built in The Call of the Herald. I'll probably swing through the rest of The Light Keepers at a later date, because the world was definitely intriguing, though I might try the real series first. If enough battles are this close, maybe I'll do a second round with the books that didn't make it through round one.

WINNER: The Call of the Herald

No comments: